Tutorial Day!!!

3.02.2011

Okay so I'm about to post my first tutorial. Please bear with me through this. This tute may be a bit pic heavy. I'm so excited...here goes!

Upcycle Hair clip (no sewing required!)

*I may be adding these to my shop


Supplies needed:
Lining from an dress (or coat/jacket)
hot glue gun
loose beads (mine are from a vintage faux pearl necklace)
scissors
small piece of felt
hair clip
small candle


Next you will need to cut out 3 circles from the lining in descending sizes. I cut one 3 inches in diameter, 2 inches in diameter and 1.5 inches in diameter. The circles don't have to be perfectly symmetrical.




Next you'll need to light your candle. What you are going to do is burn the edges of the fabric until it curls in slightly. Be careful during this part. You may want a small container of water near just in case. I prefer a small candle with a smaller wick; it allows me to control the fabric and flame easier.

Hold you piece of fabric just close enough to flame so that it begins to curl under. Do this with each piece of fabric, all the way around it.
You pieces should look like this

Next take your hot glue gun and put a dab of glue on the largest piece. Place the second largest piece on top. Next put a dab of glue on the medium sized piece and place the smallest piece on it.
Your pieces should look like this:

Now take your bead on glue it in the center of the smallest piece. Take your felt and alligator clip and glue it on the back of your fabric like so. The felt I cut is about 1.5 inches in diameter and you can buy the alligator clips from your local craft store like Hobby Lobby, JoAnn or Michaels



Let it dry and Voila!!



you can use anything (almost anything as your center piece buttons, flowers, etc) also if you want to wait to add your center bead after you have glued your felt and clip that's okay too!


Hope you all liked it!!! Feel free to show some love or suggestions via comments
And check out my etsy too

Have a fantastical day Lovlies!!!

1 comment:

  1. this is so cute! I found your blog from the Love2upcycleblog. I have TONS of lining fabrics; now I know what I'll do with it!
    thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete